How to Become a Security Guard
Who can get a licence
To be eligible for a licence:
- You must be 18 years of age or older.
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
- You must have a clean criminal record.
Basic training and testing requirements
Before you apply for a licence, you must:
1. Take the security guard or private investigator basic training course.
2. Pass the security guard or private investigator basic test.
How to apply for a security guard and/or private investigator licence
- You can apply for a licence by mail or online through Service Ontario.
- If you apply online, you will be able to check the status of your application online within two business days.
- Online applicants will be able to access a printable digital licence as soon as their application is approved. The printed digital licence can be used as proof of licensing until you receive your plastic licence card by mail.
Please note that ServiceOntario does not accept applications for security guard or private investigator licences at its service counters.
A correctly completed application can take up to 30 days to be processed.
Your new licence will expire two birthdays after the day it is issued.
Security guards and private investigators must carry a valid licence at all times while on duty. Security guards must identify themselves and show the front of their licence to anyone who asks to see it. This includes employers, police and members of the public.
Security guards and private investigators are responsible for adhering to the Private Security and Investigative Services Act, 2005 and its regulations, including the Code of Conduct regulation.
Failure to comply can lead to charges.